[plug] Change to mime-support breaks MultiViews, any ideas for a fix?

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 04:14:24 WST 2012

Hey everyone

Latest mime-support package in Debian (maybe Ubuntu too) has a change
that comments out the application/x-httpd-php lines. Apparently they are
a bug (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=589384)
Only problem is that MultiViews content negotiation relies on mime types
to determin what that the content is. So default Apache MultiViews is
setup with "MultiviewsMatch NegotiatedOnly" (and yes, MultiViews is
setup by default), so will fail for files it can't determine the
mime-type for (and hence what to do with the file).
What this means, is for a file.php in the webroot, with MultiViews we
used to be able to access http://example.com/file and it would serve up
the file.php if it existed (and yes, it would get executed via the php
interpreter). Now it's only possible to access the url as
http://example.com/file.php which breaks some applications. I've not yet
been able to determin if the bug 589384 was actually valid, it doesn't
sound right to me, but the reason for removing the x-httpd-php lines was
probably correct.

My understanding of MultiViews is that setting it to "MultiviewsMatch
Handlers Filters" should have been what we needed to get things working
again, but it doesn't appear to.

Has anyone else been bitten by this in a recent update? I first heard
about it at the start of this month and now have seen it affect the PLUG
server for one of it's applications. Anyone got a fix for it?

Thanks

Tim