[plug] Linux Client to update DNS server

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Apr 18 15:40:37 WST 2012

Hi Alex,

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:52:42 +0800
Alexander Hartner <alex at j2anywhere.com> wrote:

> I am about to create a network with many linux systems. To make live
> easy I am looking for a method to allow each client to update the DNS
> server itself. I know there are lot of other solutions to map names
> to IP addresses using MAC address maps on the DHCP server, however
> those are not suitable for this environment. I really need a solution
> for the clients to update the DNS record themselves.

<Disclaimer> This may not be the best way(tm) to do it </disclaimer>

I am using dhcpd with bind here so IP addresses are handed out
dynamically to clients, when a client connects they update the server
with their own name record.

The trick to the update, I found was in the /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
file you must make sure you uncomment the:

send host-name "your.host.name";

line and set the your.host.name to the correct name for that computer.

Regards,

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services