[plug] WA Govenment iPads for year 1 and 2 students

Marcos Raul Carot Collins marcos.carot at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 07:11:29 WST 2012

On Viernes 10 Febrero 2012 06:47:31 Onno Benschop escribió:
> I'm reading with interest some of the observations in this thread. I sense
> some despair at the decision making process and perceived and/or observed
> waste in the system. I think it's great to document those things. It's
> excellent to let off some steam and vent as well, it's cathartic, can help
> you focus on the issue and get you motivated.
>
> My question is this:
>
> What are you going to do about it?
>

> If there was a perfect world, how would this work? What would it take? How
> would you transform the current system to the ideal system. What steps
> would be needed? What is the first step?
>
> Bitching and moaning is fine, but you're surrounded by a group of people
> who share some of your values, people who believe that Open Source is
> potentially a better solution.
>
> Harness that.

In the perfect world, a small number of tech savvy teachers, it pros and a few
decision makers would meet to define the actual needs (not as " it needs to be
white and made by x company, but as it "effective tool to teach x").

Once that all the needs are identified, call all potential contender companies
to put their case forward on how their product satisfies better the
requirements, and let some teachers test it "in the real world".

After that, between the top 3-4 options (as in they satisfy the needs better)
choose by price/service/future proof.

Cheers,

Marcos