[plug] WA Govenment iPads for year 1 and 2 students

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Fri Feb 10 07:56:46 WST 2012

Gavin, I couldn't agree with you more, having worked 3 years in a High
School and now working in State Government I've seen some shocking
prices on the contracts list. With a few exceptions, we recently
bought an HP NAS and paid much less than the RRP on the HP website
(about 1/3 from memory) so the Government can negotiate good prices on
a few things.

As far as what to do about it, I think a few things are needed;
1) We need to make the software (and hardware) attractive, even though
I don't like it, gnome 3 is sexy and people who want a "Shiny" GUI are
will love it.
2) We need to market FLOSS to those in high positions (e.g. write a
letter saying "What about XO laptops instead of iPads?")
3)and lastly we need to get the technology out there so people know
about it. Software freedom day is a great idea for this, make sure the
average computer users knows there are alternatives. If they don't
know it exists their never going to give it a go.

I have also sent a letter to the contact address at laptop.org.au
because on their website it says that they are focusing on remote
areas and not on metro, so maybe XO in metro schools was never an
option. (that would take almost all the wind out of my argument.)