[plug] Ubuntu 12.04 headless with nvidia

Brian Owens evansaussie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:26:45 WST 2012

Hi Shanon,

On my debian squeeze (with backports) I have the nvidia binaries, I
think ubuntu have a friendly wizard called :

I ran nvidia-settings (as sudo) and set the resolution in 'x server
display settings' from auto then 'save to x configuration file'.
This overwrites the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so best make a backup
before you start - I think it does it automatically but better safe
than sorry!

Two other options of the top of my head are:

1) Try the nouveau drivers (these are the open source version of the
nvidia drivers and are fine if you are not doing multi-monitor or 3d
stuff) - sorry can't help you there.

2) Do you actually need have a display - last time I did a headless
server I used 'xvfb' and 'x11vnc', the server didn't actually have a
video card at all. But I would leave something in for that emergency
:)

I did a quick google and wikipedia actually has instructions on how to
use these together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb

Anyway good luck!