[plug] Ubuntu 12.04 headless with nvidia

Scott Middleton scott at assuretek.com.au
Tue Jul 10 19:10:49 WST 2012

On 8 July 2012 01:20, Shanon Loughton <autobot at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> How can I run a desktop install headless with 12.04?  Ie no monitor
> attached.
>
> With it attached I get a display :0.0 start up. Without a monitor
> attached, no :0.0 is available.
>
> This looks good http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1851330&page=2dealing with EDID stuff but doesnt work for me.

what I do with monitor attached.
I set auto-logon for a particular user and i set the auto-logon user with
admin privileges (so I can use sudo).
I enable remote desktop sharing making sure I untick "require user
permission"
I  require a password. None of them are live but still....

I generate an xorg.conf file. Using X -configure (off the top of my head)
or use Brian's method. The X -configure needs to be executed in the console
* *while lightdm is not running "lightdm stop"
Copy the /root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reboot and test that you like the resolution, the auto logon works and the
ability to remote VNC to the desktop. It is a good idea to actually pull
the plug on the computer especially if you have a video card with multiple
monitor capability. I have found that some cards need to be completely
powered off first. My damn nvidia card is  a pain in the arse.
Change the driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to "dummy"
reboot and see if it works

I haven't done this in 12.04 but I have a couple in 10.04

Alternatively
sudo apt-get install vnc4server

I had a couple of virtual hosts with this config that were running windows
guests. The clients needed/wanted a remote gui console. Nowadays I use vrdp.

Scott Middleton
Managing Director
Linux Consultants Pty Ltd t/as AssureTek
Email - Scott at assuretek.com.au
Phone - 1300 551 696
Mobile - 0400 212 724