[plug] Ubuntu 12.04 headless with nvidia

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 11:12:18 WST 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Shanon Loughton <autobot at iinet.net.au>wrote:

> Thanks guys
>
> Im in a situation where I can't attach a monitor at the moment at site.  I
> think the answer is a properly configured xorg.conf but still not sure how
> in 12.04.
>
> Yes traditional VNC doesnt need a display 0.  However Im experimenting
> with TurboVNC and VirtualGL and it needs a display 0 to render GLX commands
> on, then pass to display 1 which is my VNC display.
>
> I want avoid nouveau driver for now unless I really get stuck with Nvidia
> binary -  I dont think thats the problem, but rather X/gnome/unity whatever
> is.
>
> cheers
> Shanon

I'm not sure whether it would work, but have you tried remote X ssh
forwarding and running the nvidia config? The yast2 gui is pretty nice so I
quite often launch it via ssh instead of dealing with RDP -> VMware Vsphere
client or logging into the web page and using the flash based console
client.

Leon