[plug] Kernel development process

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Wed Jul 18 08:23:20 WST 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 13:42 +0800, Andrew Cooks wrote:
> Hi List
>
> Can someone explain to me why the kernel patch submission process
> still involves sending patch-sets via email, instead of just saying:
> "Here's a new feature that does <something...>. You can fetch it from
> <publicly accessible git repo/tag>, which is based on <upstream
> version>."

That's not quite the case. Sending a pull request is frequently used by
people, usually subsystem maintainers.

See Documentation/development-process/2.Process, section 2.3: HOW
PATCHES GET INTO THE KERNEL, which talks about pull requests.

But the sad fact is that people often don't cc the subsystem maintainer
when posting patches or sending pull requests so whether patches or pull
requests they need to go to a mailing list so there is some chance the
maintainer will see them.

Ian