[plug] Librarian role - help required

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 30 08:50:28 WST 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 07:14:17PM +0800, Craig Inches wrote:
> Hey Lance,
> I am usually at the monthly meetings so I am willing to help out. Drop me
> an email sometime and we can discuss what we can do.

Heya! Good to hear.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 06:05:16PM +0800, Lance Duivenbode wrote:
> [...] are not as relevant as they once were. For example, I used to
> provide CDs for those who didn't have the bandwidth to download them
> but with the advent of affordable broadband there's not much demand
> for them now.

I hear that from time to time, but I know I personally still have a
desire to pick up ready-to-use snapshots, especially for milestone
releases. We've even been stuck once or twice at meetings, "if only we
had a recent SystemRescueCD or USB key".

It's up to you guys to do what you feel like doing, but I've love to
encourage anyone who feels like downloading an ISO or two per month,
maybe booting it, telling us what they found and bringing a copy to
the meetings.

There other things which take a little management;

 * the general public gratis https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ is no longer
   running, but we could easily organise ourselves as a local community
   or buy a small pack of branded discs now and then. I'd love a physical
   copy of the 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) LTS, for example:
   http://blog.canonical.com/2011/04/05/shipit-comes-to-an-end/

 * Flash storage has hit the 50-100 cents per gigabyte mark; instead
   of CDs maybe we should do a bulk buy of USB keys, microSDXC cards with
   or without cheap dx.com readers, etc, etc. Reusable month to month,
   or BYO.

 * Don't feel obliged, if there was a bulk duplication job to be done,
   we've got some reasonably priced local shops that will do the job,
   but it's handy if someone picks up the reins to facilitate things.

Nick.
Ex-PLUG-librarian.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal