[plug] SOHO UPS Suggestions

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 6 15:51:30 WST 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:07:40 Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive SOHO UPSs that are
> Linux friendly? I'm just after something that will smooth power
> fluctuations a bit, and give a few minutes to cleanly shut down a home
> server when there's a power outage. The home server has a 650W PSU, and
> I've measured it drawing about 80-90W when reasonably idle.

"inexpensive"? Well you probably need a 1000VA UPS to handle the PSU
surges.

> I've done some Googling, and most of the recommended ones seem to have all
> been bought out by Eaton. So Eaton have several lines of PSUs, but their
> site only recommends their own line. Eaton at least seem to have great
> Linux support across all (?) ranges.

Powershield is cool.  http://www.powershield.com.au/
Powershield are sold by e.g. Altronics.
With pure sinewave output, I wouldn't go for less than
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=D0880

Software support for Linux "works".
I should spend some time whipping a module into shape for Nagios.

Several of their models support "dirty" generator input as well
which is useful if you need to "survive" longer power outages
without a massive bank of external batteries. A small diesel genset
of say 5kVA can be set up to start shortly after grid power goes off
and for power to transfer when the generator is running smoothly.
You then get an indefinite amount of time of backup power. Fuel
tanks supply for 12+hours at full capacity and, being
diesel-fuelled, can be topped up without stopping. Cost of a 5kVA
generator is less than $4000.

That may be "overkill" for your SOHO application but is worth
keeping in mind ... if you have a place to run a genset, then
there's little need for more than 20 minutes' of UPS battery
capacity. A genset can be online from cold in 2 to 3 minutes.

P.S.: Declaration I'm a Powershield reseller for systems hardening,
automation and integration activities.

\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
 X   against HTML mail     | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \  and postings          |  --HL Mencken