[plug] Wordpress Alternatives

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:00:19 WST 2012

On 20 June 2012 10:30, Alexander Hartner <alex at j2anywhere.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was about to start a new website project using wordpress but ran into a problem. It appears that wordpress is masked on Gentoo due to security concerns.
>
> http://dltj.org/article/gentoo-abandons-wordpress-in-portage/

Given that article is 2007, I would be ignoring it to some effect. As
Chris said, all platforms can suffer vulnerabilities.
Also, given that it's a webapp, I wouldn't be worrying about using
portage to install/uninstall it, just install it from wordpress.org
using the instructions there.

I run a number of wordpress installs for companies, the key is keeping
things updated, and I have a great script that keeps all installs
updated easily. (Ask if you want it, it'll need some tweaking for
individual setups).

For webapps, a distro not carrying it is fine IMHO, they are things
that should be easy to install and update outside of the distro
package manager. Generally the package manager is only good for a
single install of the software anyway, not allowing you multiple blogs
for example. While it would be nice for apt-get/portage/yum to keep my
wordpress installs upto date, I put the security of them in a
different boat, as the time taken for a security fix to get from
upstream, into my distro can take way too long given how exposed it
can be.

I suggest if you have used wordpress before, and you are comfortable
with it, then use it. IMHO, it's one of the easiest to keep up to date
as well, I find drupal a pain to update.

Tim

--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia