[plug] dmraid vs mdadm

Alexander Hartner alex at j2anywhere.com
Sat Mar 3 11:26:20 WST 2012

I am setting up a new system. After partitioning /dev/sda, transferring my partition over to /dev/sdb using

sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk --force /dev/sdb

And setting up the raid arrays using :

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --assume-clean --level=1 -e 0.90 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md2 --assume-clean --level=1 -e 0.90 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md3 --assume-clean --level=1 -e 0.90 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3

Everything seems OK, however if I reboot all the drive names change to :

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
md125 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
      262080 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md126 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      4194240 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md127 : active (auto-read-only) raid1 sdb3[1] sda3[0]
      972305024 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

While this in itself may not be a problem, after I install my OS (Linux of course) I get a kernel panic. I suspect the kernel panic is due to the kernel not finding the partition I specified in grub.conf and fstab (i.e. : /dev/md1|2|3).

I have been struggling with mdadm raid for several days now, with little progress to show. dmraid seems to leverage what little support is provided by my onboard RAID controller, which seems like a good think. mdadm seems to just keep both drives in sync with each other without leveraging hardware. I might well be wrong there. So far I only tried mdadm.

Alex