[plug] [OT] Server Hardware "shops"

Chris Hoy Poy chris at hoypoy.id.au
Tue Mar 20 06:19:02 WST 2012

I recently picked up a fractal design XL case from PLE [http://www.ple.com.au] - not rack mountable, but 11+ HDD bays that are quite accessible without much hassle. For $210 I am pretty happy.

very quiet - I went with 6x 5900RPM 2TB drives + some inline SSDs, with OpenIndiana + ZFS for the OS (running on separate mirrored drives). [I have this in my media room atm because my laptop is louder then this system]
I've got a 4 bays left that I can put more drives in if I need to :)

I didn't bother getting enough onboard SATA ports, you can get 8x SATA2 LSI cards (non-raid) for ~$300, the 16x cards aren't too bad either.

Also, port expanders :)

digicor [http://www.digicor.com.au] have been good providers too (in Perth anyway) for SuperMicro kit, which I find generally well priced and reliable.

//chris