[plug] plug message

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:46:28 WST 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Carl Gherardi <carl.gherardi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Leon Wright <techman83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Carl,
>>
>> It's acting as the router to imitate all of our networks in our dev
>> environment, so it's something we've already set.
>
> Always check the simple things :)
>
>> I'm totally stumped, bridging normally just works. It's definitely
>> something inside the VM as if you swap the networks connected to the
>> interfaces, the one that was working stops, the one that wasn't
>> working starts. Also if I drop an interface from the bridge, the one
>> that's left in it works and same if I swap them.
>>
>> Totally Bizarre. CC'ing plug list, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> Leon
>
> Whats the VM. If its windows i've had issues with TCP offloading.
> Disabling it in either windows or linux usually does the trick
>
> Carl G

At this point in time, I'm fairly convinced it's a VMware issue. I
have a similar setup at home (ESXi 5, quad port nic etc) and booting
my server from a linux live stick, works perfectly. VM inside of esxi,
no go.

Thinking about it though, in part I'm not surprised. I don't know how
the virtual networking works under the hood of vmware, but a bridge
takes the MAC of one of the interfaces according to ifconfig, and
coincidentally that's the interface that works.

We actually are fully licensed on our clusters, and VMware's support
is excellent, so it might be time to raise a support case.

Leon