[plug] Bridging Interfaces in Ubuntu [SOLVED]

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:39:29 WST 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Leon Wright <techman83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> At this point in time, I'm fairly convinced it's a VMware issue. I
> have a similar setup at home (ESXi 5, quad port nic etc) and booting
> my server from a linux live stick, works perfectly. VM inside of esxi,
> no go.
>
> Thinking about it though, in part I'm not surprised. I don't know how
> the virtual networking works under the hood of vmware, but a bridge
> takes the MAC of one of the interfaces according to ifconfig, and
> coincidentally that's the interface that works.
>
> We actually are fully licensed on our clusters, and VMware's support
> is excellent, so it might be time to raise a support case.
>
> Leon

Bah, it was a case of the Fridays. Two minutes on google this morning
and I'd figured it out. Security setting in VMware.

http://www.troublenow.org/344/openvpn_bridge_and_vmware_esxi/

Not using OpenVPN in this instance, however same steps apply. The
security wasn't allowing the card to go into promiscuous mode.

Leon