[plug] Fwd: [Linux-aus] $11.7m for OLPC Australia in the federal govt budget

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon May 14 00:13:15 WST 2012

On 09/05/12 10:07, Shanon Loughton wrote:
> awesome!

... except my cynicism about this program was confirmed by an
extensive (?) study of Sth American roll outs (I think) of OLPC
wherein they found zero effect on educational outcomes from the OLPC
program (you can see my memory is hazy, but you can search for it).
I'm a full time school teacher and know that introducing technology
(IWB, ICT, etc) makes administrators feel good, but does nothing for
learning if not backed by educational programs that maximise whatever
gain the tech is supposed to offer. Obvious really, but that has been
the achille's heel of OLPC and will continue to be so with any tech in
classrooms.

Gavin