[plug] linux on an android tablets - questions please

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon May 28 22:49:41 WST 2012

On 28/05/12 22:00, Daniel wrote:

> I also read "Linux kernel 3.3 released with merged Android code"
>
> I don't understand the impact:
> Would these two mean the full linux experience and thus allow things like easy
> remote access?

Android kernel is a fork of Linux, but generally the rest of Android isn't the
usual GNU stuff or anything much compatible ... it may be Linux but it isn't
even close to a GNU/Linux operating system. People have certainly put GNU/Linux
onto tablets with varying degrees of success. I guess hardware drivers would be
a big issue. Perhaps encouraging or being amenable to proprietary drivers was
part of the issue between Google and the Linux kernel people which led to the
fork??? I don't know.

Simon