[plug] Printer won't print

Owain evansaussie at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 03:43:55 UTC 2013

On 1 April 2013 09:05, James Henstridge <james at jamesh.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Margaret Wood <msrwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Lance
>>
>> It's a very sensible question - I did initilally forget that I needed
>> to log out and back in, but I did try that later, and it made no
>> difference.
>
> The CUPS print spooler on Linux doesn't run under your user ID (it is
> a daemon process that your applications talk to), so it isn't too
> surprising that changing your own group membership didn't make much of
> a difference.
>
> Does your distro do anything special to lock down CUPS (e.g. via
> AppArmor or SELinux)?  Perhaps the security policy is blocking it?

Hi,

On my debian box - group lp is for the printer daemon (cups), so you
don't need to be a member of that group in my opinion.

My suggestion is to see if you can access the built in web based cups
configuration, on my debian box it's http://localhost:631.

See: http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L274 - you may want to add your
username to 'lpadmin' if you don't want to log in as root.

Good luck!