[plug] iPads in WA schools

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 04:17:06 UTC 2013

On 08/04/13 11:54, Andrew Cooks wrote:
> Hi Plug
>
> Is anyone else concerned about the iPad monoculture that is
> infiltrating the school system? Is this a repeat of the mistakes that
> led to Microsoft gaining a monopoly over a whole generation of people?
>
> Looking forward to your responses.

Certainly not a good thing, but looking at the last election this state, and
probably most of the country, as voters we are very heavily in favour of
policies favouring corporate profitability and of directing public budgets
straight into the wallets of corporate suppliers. Apple offers just such a deal.

It seems we have been convinced that only large, profit oriented corporations
can provide the things we want or need. It is policy, some might say ideology,
that drives this .. perhaps stupid but very deliberate, not a mistake in that
sense of the word. It is intentional policy and we vote strongly in favour of
it. We will of course suffer the consequences in time, but this applies to a
much wider range of things than just the IT supplier for our schools.

It is a dead end and very short term thinking, but with so many of the
electorate convinced that it is the best way we have some way to fall before we
change our collective minds on this.

Simon