[plug] Odd pins on Android devices

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Sat Feb 16 03:17:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Andrew Cooks <acooks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Leon Wright <techman83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Tim White <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I got mine from Kogan....
>
> I waited three weeks before they finally decided that they can't get
> stock of the Galaxy Nexus. Will not support them again. Lucky for me,
> a week later the Nexus 4 was back in stock on play.google.com.
>
>> It's horrible. The phone companies in Aust are really slow. 4.0.4 was
>> released late 2011/early 2012 and most have not released anything newer yet.
>> 4.0.4 has some massive issues, which has been frustrating a lot of people i
>> know. Which is a shame as it's a fantastic device. Vodafone released 4.1.2
>> two weeks ago, google released 4.2.2 yesterday!
>
> My Nexus 4 is still on 4.2.1 and claims it's up to date. Any clues?

If the update is available but hasn't been offered to your device yet,
you could try this process:

1. Enable airplane mode to isolate the phone.
2. Go to settings -> apps and find "Google Services Framework"
3. Force stop and then clear data for "Google Services Framework"
4. Disable airplane mode and check for updates again.

This should make it look like your device has never checked for
updates, and the updates generally get offered to brand new devices
straight away.  I haven't tried this on a Nexus 4, but it worked for
my tablet.

Of course, the reason they do rolling updates is so they can pull the
update if it causes problems without upsetting the entire user base.
While you might get your update sooner with the above process, you
also increase your risk of receiving a problem update.

James.