[plug] Request for advice about RAID & networking problem

Joe Aquilina joeaquilina at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 24 03:09:51 UTC 2013

Hello all.

I thought I'd ask here for some advice about a RAID & networking
problem. I am sure that there are far more knowledgeable people out
there than me, since I am a relatively recent adoptee of Linux. Of
course, I realise that this may not be an appropriate forum for this
enquiry and would ask for guidance as to where I can go to get
further assistance (other than everyone's friend Mr Google).

I just had to build a new Linux box to replace an old server that was
running on 2 old 500 Gb hard drives, running on RAID 1 and LVM. The
new box has two 1Tb hard drives again running RAID 1 and LVM - I did
a dd of one of the old drives and let the second drive resync from
that. Was that a good way to go? The new machine boots and seems to
run fine and everything seems to be there. However I am not sure of
exactly how to get access to the extra 500Gb of space that the new
drives provide. Any suggestion for doing this would be appreciated.

The real problem is that the on-board Gigabit LAN is being seen as
eth2 instead of as eth0 as it was on the old board. How do I "fix"
this and get LAN/internet connectivity again? What config files do I
need to edit and where do I go looking for them? I have never been
great when it comes to setting up/modifying networks and am feeling
even more out of my depth trying to do it Linux.

Thanks in advance from a frustrated Linux newbie.

Joe Aquilina

Joe Aquilina                    PO Box 819 Morley WA 6943
Mobile: 0428 216069
rhadmirri at westnet.com.au  or  joeaquilina at westnet.com.au