[plug] Request for advice about RAID & networking problem

Joe Aquilina joeaquilina at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 24 06:13:44 UTC 2013

At 11:27 AM 24/01/2013, you wrote:
>Hi Joe
>
>first off, does the top level filesystem support expansion (ie EXT3,
>EXT4, XFS or something). Otherwise, copy all the data off, rebuild
>with full capacity, use a file system that does support expansion,
>copy it all back.

How do I find out if the top-level file system supports expansion?
What tool will give me that info? Is that something I can find in
fdisk output or am I looking at something else for that? Given that
there is RAID 1 and LVM on top of that, I suspect it might be a
combination of tools.

>then something like: (you may need google to assist, but this
>approach generally works):
>Resize the MD disk array (mdadm grow ? or something like that)

I tried that already but it didn't seem to have any effect. Does that
mean that the top level file system is not expandable? I tried:
mdadm --grow --size max /dev/md1
as it is that particular RAID array I want to expand.

>then resize the pv (pvresize), which I think automatically resizes
>the VG, then you can resize the LV (lvresize) and then finally
>resize the file system (resize2fs for EXT3, EXT4 etc, I have no
>problems doing this with the file system online. xfs_growfs works
>for XFS too).
>
>for the ethernet issue, if its debian, poke around in
>/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
>You should see your old ethernet MAC listed in there. Delete all the
>NIC entries and reboot, it'll fix itself. :)
>
>(probably should back up that file before editing and all if you are
>uncomfortable, but I do that a fair bit!).
>There is a way to turn off that udev thing, I can't remember it atm.
>:) I'm sure someone will point out a reference on how to do it. I'm
>too lazy to open a new tab and google for it myself, right now.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is Debian Squeeze, v6.0.6. I seem
to recall having to make a change in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules when we went through a
similar process a year or so ago, but I forgot about that this time
around. Will have a look in there later (the machine is offsite so I
will have to go for a little drive later).

Thanks for the prompt response, I will let you know if I have any
further problems on the networking side.

>:)
>
>//chris

Joe Aquilina                    PO Box 819 Morley WA 6943
Mobile: 0428 216069
rhadmirri at westnet.com.au  or  joeaquilina at westnet.com.au