[plug] Win 8 Secure Boot - Can Linux be installed OK?

euan at dekock.net euan at dekock.net
Fri Jun 28 01:56:12 UTC 2013

I'm running Linux on my Asus laptop that shipped with Win8. I did have it dual booting originally, but I managed to mess up the windows partition later and never got around to fixing it.

The only issue with loading Linux is based around UEFI. Linux does support UEFI, however windows adds an additional layer - Secure Boot, this requires a chain of certificates to be signed on all boot images. Easiest option is to turn off secure boot, windows will still work.

The UEFI boot support varies between Linux implementations, most solutions involve using a shim, basically a signed pre-boot image.

However the Linux kernel itself can now be built as a compatible UEFI image and directly loaded through UEFI - this is my preferred approach, but it's not secure boot friendly.

I use Gentoo, as it gives this level of control, I'd not recommend it unless you havea lot of spare time and don't have a life ;-)

Hope this is of some help - it's definitely doable - even with full secure boot support, but it does still need a lot of hacking.

regards,

Euan de Kock
President - Perth Linux User Group (PLUG)