[plug] Network Performance Testing

Andrew Cooks acooks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 00:43:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/13 20:31, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
>>
>> Maybe there should be a squid installed? Kevin
>>

> I'd say squid and a local bind cache would be an essential starting point.
> And off load the nat to the squid box to take the router out of the
> equation.

We're starting from the wrong point here. The requirements have to
come first, then we look at what's already in place. If we start with
a bag of tricks and solve problems that don't exist, we're simply
complicating things and it may not be appropriate for whoever is
responsible for support.

Since startup weekend is so close (and that seems to be the main worry
at this point), I'd start by asking Brodie about the fluctuations he
mentioned and printing a "Please turn off your torrents" notice.
Getting a nat box or bridge in place would be next, simply as a point
to measure and observe, so that potential problems can easily be
pin-pointed.

Any major http/ftp uploads/downloads won't be cached by squid anyway.
With torrenting and youtubing under control that's more than half the
battle won, but dare I mention shaping?

a.