[plug] Network Performance Testing

euan at dekock.net euan at dekock.net
Wed Mar 6 01:03:29 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think what Brodie is really looking for though is someone who could just run a few tests across the network to satisfy him that the service he's signed up for is what he's getting.

Essentially what he's got is a maintenance free network with no servers involved. Until yesterday he didn't really even have a network, but just a wifi hotspot and a few ethernet over power devices.

He's now got 20 gbit capable ethernet points and is expecting a swarm of net savvy individuals for a solid weekend of coding/hacking.

I'm still collating, so keep the ideas flowing - thanks.

Regards,

Euan.

On 6/03/13 8:43 Andrew Cooks wrote:

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM, Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/13 20:31, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
>>
>> Maybe there should be a squid installed? Kevin
>>

> I'd say squid and a local bind cache would be an essential starting point.
> And off load the nat to the squid box to take the router out of the
> equation.

We're starting from the wrong point here. The requirements have to
come first, then we look at what's already in place. If we start with
a bag of tricks and solve problems that don't exist, we're simply
complicating things and it may not be appropriate for whoever is
responsible for support.

Since startup weekend is so close (and that seems to be the main worry
at this point), I'd start by asking Brodie about the fluctuations he
mentioned and printing a "Please turn off your torrents" notice.
Getting a nat box or bridge in place would be next, simply as a point
to measure and observe, so that potential problems can easily be
pin-pointed.

Any major http/ftp uploads/downloads won't be cached by squid anyway.
With torrenting and youtubing under control that's more than half the
battle won, but dare I mention shaping?

a.

PLUG discussion list: brad at fnarfbargle.com

Committee e-mail: brad at fnarfbargle.com