[plug] Network Performance Testing

Daniel Axtens daniel at axtens.net
Tue Mar 5 12:32:37 UTC 2013

I have found speed test websites to be of very dubious value, especially at high network speeds (I'm currently on an AARNET connection in Canberra, and the displayed result from speedtest.net in no way matches my actual experience).

Furthermore, the load that a startup weekend will produce is very very different to the load speedtest.net tests: lots of simultaneous connections, to various servers across the world, rather than a single connection to a single nearby server.

What may be of considerable value is to set up a well-configured Squid caching proxy. Then, if you have a bunch of people all downloading the same Node.js modules/Python packages/whatever, it should only go out to the internet once, and all subsequent hits will be served off the cache. The proxy can also be set up to block common, unimportant, high-bandwidth, background downloads (e.g. Windows Updates).

HTH,
Daniel