[plug] Network Performance Testing

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Wed Mar 6 06:57:57 UTC 2013

I must disagree on how "unimportant" Windows Updates can be - especially the security updates.
Firstly, they are usually served from local Akamai CDN servers which quite a few WA ISPs don't meter.
Secondly, exploits wreak havoc on all internet citizens, and most of them target Windows clients.
It's like saying German Measles doesn't affect me as a man who has had it before, so immunisation of the population is irrelevant.

I agree with the suggestion of a Squid proxy, possibly even one seeded from a fast site first. For example, run a netboot and installation from UWA or another fast connection prior to the event, and then when the proxy is transported to SpaceCubed, it's already cached the bulk of the packages. After that it the cache should maintain itself given a large enough cache.

CraigF.