[plug] Network Performance Testing

Sam Wilson sam at samwilson.id.au
Wed Mar 6 07:05:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, March 6, 2013 2:57 pm, Craig Foster wrote:
> I must disagree on how "unimportant" Windows Updates can be - especially
> the security updates.
> Firstly, they are usually served from local Akamai CDN servers which quite
> a few WA ISPs don't meter.
> Secondly, exploits wreak havoc on all internet citizens, and most of them
> target Windows clients.
> It's like saying German Measles doesn't affect me as a man who has had it
> before, so immunisation of the population is irrelevant.

I suspect the "unimportant" just meant that those updates are not
important enough to slow everyone down while at an event like this.  Not
that they shouldn't ever be downloaded.... :-)

Unless there's some way to transmute a Windows Update into a Linux
Install?!... hehe.... that'd start cleaning things up perhaps...