[plug] RHCE exam

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Thu Mar 7 14:48:23 UTC 2013

I tend to lean the other way. I've had a RHCE for a few years now and
its never really played much of a role in securing a job or in my
day-to-day work. My experience has been that RHEL is used more as an
appliance; organisations install it when they have some third-party
application or system to run, rather than using it as a basis for their
own internal systems. As such, the vendor invariably sends their
"expert/engineer" to install RHEL as well as the application and the
organisations IT department treat the whole system largely as a black box.

Unfortunately, what little certification there is for
Debian/Ubuntu/FreeBSD doesn't seem to garner the same recognition,
despite these platforms being more common in hands-on deployments.

Up until recently I'd have advised pursing some sort of Solaris
certification, however even that is waning as a platform since Oracle
took it over. Again, its most commonly used as part of an appliance, but
there are less people who know their way around a Solaris box so the
certification is more valuable.

On a more general level, I've found ITIL to be very useful and popular.
While concepts present by the Foundation level course would be second
nature to anyone who's worked at an ISP, they are non-the-less
invaluable to any organisation and its IT staff.

Having said all that, a RHCE is better than a MCSE. :-P

Cheers,

Adrian