[plug] ups for home

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Mar 9 15:14:31 UTC 2013

On 09/03/13 17:43, wolfbite wrote:
> looking into ups for home, cost is always a factor
>
> problem deciding
>    1. indivual ups for each computer (and how big)
>    2. run a couple of computers off a bigger ups (couple of gaming rigs
> ) and other computers (and how big :)
>    3. toying with idea ups on plasma (and how BIG :D

I have 4.
- APC SmartUPS 1400 - Powers my desktop (iMac 27+Thunderbolt
Display+Samsung 24"), modem & office switch.
- APC SmartUPS 2200 - Powers my server, granny flat switch & main switch
PoE from granny flat switch
- APC BackUPS 650 - Powers WD Mybook world backup drive, wireless
router. USB to wireless router with apcupsd on router.
- MGE Pulsar 2200VA - Mobile and powers whatever needs plugging in
between when western power goes down and I get around to starting the
Generator.

I bought the Generator 18 months ago. It has 8.5 hours on it in that
time, and that is only pulled out when the power is out for more than 30
minutes. I run it till all the UPS's are charged, then shut it down for
30 mins to give the neighbours a break before repeating the cycle. Power
was always more reliable than this before. An ex WP employee advised me
to buy a generator 2 years ago, and I thought he was joking.

I love the APC Smart UPS's. There are schematics on the net. You can fix
them with basic soldering and electronics tools if they break (one of
mine blew some fets when the previous owner hooked up the battery the
wrong way - Cheap UPS yay gumtree). They are not on-line (unlike the
MGE) but they are built like a brick shithouse, and have long term
reliability to match (Both of mine are ~2000 vintage).

The MGE is nice for fussy loads like the Telly and STB. Nothing like
losing power 30 minutes into F1 qualifying at 3am when you can't start a
loud generator.

Replace the batteries every 2 years. Use either Vision or CSB batteries
(direct from the importer at a fraction of the retail price) and never
worry again.

I've sized all my units for a reliable 50 minutes of run time. I have
all sorts of other stuff in the granny flat that runs off the UPS, but
it's all controlled via an APC PDU (thanks again gumtree) and 5 minutes
after a power failure a shell script on the server shuts down all
non-essential sockets.

As luck would have it, I have the three APC ups units on separate phases
and graph and log the line voltage. We regularly see as low as 200v and
as high as 265v, so active buck and boost or full on-line is not just
nice to have. Thanks government solar incentives for dumping unmanaged
and crap quality small generation capacity into an already unstable
grid. Thank god we're not in Ellenbrook or Joondalup where home solar
installs are more prevalent.

You'd think we are out in the sticks with those sort of power stats, but
we're smack in the middle of Dianella.

Probably more than you wanted to know anyway.