[plug] ups for home

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Sat Mar 9 16:59:45 UTC 2013

Can't agree more...

Dual APC SmartUPS 1500's running server (Dell PE2950 with redundantly connected PSUs), phone system + DSL on one, Linux NAS and PoE Switch on the other.

Our power is shite. Frequent undervoltage not helped by two of the 5 units running on one phase. When both of us have aircon running, the APC's click like a mean typist on a manual typewriter. Was down to 170VAC for a while there.

Western Power took one reading at the pole, one at the balun where it connects to the strata property, and said 'problem's yours mate' and stuck us with a callout fee.

I can live without internet, so a generator isn't required.

Are you trying to game while there's no power, or just protect an investment since gaming rigs can get pretty expensive?

CraigF.