[plug] Overclocking

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Mar 16 04:41:47 UTC 2013

G'day all,

I'm doing a *lot* of work in Autocad & Revit at the moment. Because I
use Linux on the desktop and I *really* don't want to be re-booting into
Windows (or even having to install windows on my desktop) I've been
running Win7 in a VM and using SPICE to access it multi-head.

Autodesk readily admit that Autocad is very single threaded, so it's all
about the MHz. This has seen me go and purchase some Intel hardware for
the first time since my 20Mhz 80286 back so far I can't even remember if
it was late 80's or early 90's.

It appears that most of the overclocking "community" run Windows and it
occurred to me to ask here to see if there were any closet overclockers
lurking that might like to share recipes.

I've put together a bare bones box with an i7 and some ram that I can
hide away to isolate the noise, and the difference in responsiveness
with an extra GHz is massive. Want more speed.