[plug] Overclocking

wolfbite wolfbite.aus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 06:45:33 UTC 2013

On 16/03/13 12:41, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
>

> I'm doing a *lot* of work in Autocad & Revit at the moment. Because I
> use Linux on the desktop and I *really* don't want to be re-booting
> into Windows (or even having to install windows on my desktop) I've
> been running Win7 in a VM and using SPICE to access it multi-head.
>
> Autodesk readily admit that Autocad is very single threaded, so it's
> all about the MHz. This has seen me go and purchase some Intel
> hardware for the first time since my 20Mhz 80286 back so far I can't
> even remember if it was late 80's or early 90's.
>
> It appears that most of the overclocking "community" run Windows and
> it occurred to me to ask here to see if there were any closet
> overclockers lurking that might like to share recipes.
>
> I've put together a bare bones box with an i7 and some ram that I can
> hide away to isolate the noise, and the difference in responsiveness
> with an extra GHz is massive. Want more speed.

most over clocking was done by the bios settings, so will work
linux/windows  no big deal
most bios used to have a special keyboard sequence that would let you
access advance setting
these days most boards bios will let you fiddle directly, and will have
an automatic and a manual way to fiddle (some are even mouse controlled
now :)

Read basics of over clocking and work out your level of risk

but you might be better off breaking down your and run multiples either
as program or vm :)
or less core and more grunt

used to dual boot linux & windows on i7, linux use all, game used hardly
any bar 1 or 2
now have the i7 as linux only and i5 for windows game,  (also lazy set
bios to automatic ) works great, plays all

and now can switch and play as need be :D

Regards