[plug] Overclocking

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Mar 16 09:57:16 UTC 2013

On 16/03/13 16:16, Leon Wright wrote:
> I'd be careful with over clocking, it really only makes a difference for
> bragging rights these days.
>
> I'd be working towards working out where the bottle neck is first.

Oh, I know where the bottle neck is.

I'm running Win7 in a virtual environment, therefore Autocad can't take
advantage of any acceleration provided by a video card.

I have two ways around it. One is to make the machine go as fast as I
can, and the second is to re-partition my desktop machine and install
Windows 7. I chose the former as I take the latter to be absolute last
resort.

I can honestly say that overclocking this machine from 3.5Ghz to 4.7Ghz
has made a _world_ of difference for this particular use case. The extra
CPU speed translates directly into a snappier and much more pleasant
user experience, so I really do want it to go as fast as I can.

Autodesk acknowledge that due to it's development legacy, AutoCAD is
primarily single threaded and therefore responds directly to machine
speed rather than trying to scale across cores.

Admittedly, this is a bit of a perverse use case, but then I never seem
to do things the easy way.