[plug] Linux CAD Packages (was Overclocking)

Bernd Felsche bf_plug at felsche.org
Sat Mar 16 17:10:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 18:29:58 Bob Adamson wrote:
> To throw an extra option in here: might I suggest you take a look
> at a program called DraftSight. It's a free (as in beer) autocad
> replacement made by the same people who make solidworks, and works
> command-for-command like autocad (for all but the most recent and
> peculiar of autocad commands). The die-hard autocad guys where I
> work find it pretty good, and I do too. I'm unsure of whether it
> uses multi threading but being newer it's worth a shot. It also
> has native linux ports, but they are targeted at the corporate
> distros.

VariCAD is a commercial, mechanical CAD package. 3D/2D

3D is very useful for the design of real objects and assemblies.

VariCAD is multi-platform and can handle various other file formats.
Files can be exported for e.g. photo-realistic rendering if the
native presentation isn't shiny enough.

Single-threaded, AFAICT.  But I don't have the very latest version.

Price is OK. Support is local; if you happen to live in Prague. ;-)
Otherwise; email, etc.

Budget price ... even better for students. Free 30-day trial
licences.

The software house isn't huge but has built up over the past
decade+; which is how long I've been using it for bits and pieces.
http://www.varicad.com/