[plug] Can I force 500ma max power for usb?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 6 03:41:15 UTC 2013

I would like to override a USB hubs max power setting:

I have a samsung phone that depending on the cable gets enumerated and
sets max power from the usb hub (PC, Laptop etc.) to 96ma.

For some reason if it doesn't get enumerated it gets a significantly
faster charge rate (I suspect that it piggybacks an existing connection
that has already been negotiated to 500ma.)  For practical purposes it
works well for this small subset of cables ... which is my current dilemma.

If I only have standard full function usb cables (4 wire, independent
earths) that enumerate fine, except they negotiate 96ma (less than the
100ma default if accurate!), can I override the negotiation and set max
power to 500ma? - note I am not trying to force 500ma current draw but
set the threshold to 500ma.

OS is gentoo but hardware is either ASUS, Dell or Apple ... same
problem, same 96ma which supports the fact that more than this current
is really available if I can access it.

BillK