[plug] Can I force 500ma max power for usb?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 6 07:23:44 UTC 2013

Phones a samsung galaxy s2

USB power can be charging downstream ports (CDP - charge + data) or
dedicated charging ports (DCP - charge only)

CDP "negotiate" (by software) a value - hence my problem as this seems
to be 96ma - one document talks of the charge current corrupting data
transfers which is a reason to limit it.
DCP shorts two of the wires together and tells the usb port to charge
only.  Docs are vague in what I have read so far but it seems to default
to 500ma in my case

A further complication are other schemes to indicate extra current
capability - one phone I had use a 48k resistor across the data pins (I
think) which told the custom charger to release up to 2 amps.

In my case, I have only CDP cables at work, software thats negotiated
96ma but has charged at a higher rate in the past with DCP cables.

The fix: identify the usb bus/port and

echo 1 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-3/bConfigurationValue
or
echo 1 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/bConfigurationValue

(I did both) - a small shell/perl script will suffice to automate it.

Proof - it charged in a short amount of time instead of trickle
charging.  No indication from lsusb that anything had changed though so
I guess its down to cutting up a usb cable so I can insert a current
meter into the path and confirm it.  Unfortunately I dont think the
phone can tell me either. (default samsung rom)

BillK