[plug] Auto setting time in a qemu windows vm

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Aug 10 15:38:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 07:33:54PM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> I'll try ntp on it and see if it can resync reliably within a reasonable
> time (I use cron'd sntp on linux as straight ntp wasn't reliable -
> silent fail even when using "tinker panic 0") - I run the ntp server on
> a Cisco 1841 router with uwa and iinet as upstreams.

You might get better results with chrony or RADclock than ntpd.
http://chrony.tuxfamily.org/FAQ.html#question_2.1

> I was hoping someone new of a way to get time to sync from the
> hypervisor when the vm was resumed.
>
> BillK

I expect there's a way for the guest to be notified that it's been
resumed and run a command, you might want to ask here:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Lists%2C_IRC

However, the following suggests NTP with "w32tm /resync" - I expect you
could use that or "net time \\hostname /y" in a recurring at job.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1318
"Timekeeping best practices for Windows, including NTP (1318)"

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal