[plug] gigabit switch recommendations

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 29 03:58:01 UTC 2014

On 29/12/14 11:37, Gregory Orange wrote:
> On 29 December 2014 at 06:34, Adam Ashley <plug at adamashley.name> wrote:
>> The HP 1810 series of switches are perfect for what you're after.
>> http://www.estore.com.au/hp-1810-24g-24-ports-manageable-ethernet-switch-sku-hps0691
>
> I've been very happy with our 1810G-24s, both J9803A and J9450A. The
> latter is an older model with a slower web interface, but otherwise
> appears to do all the same things at the same speed.
>
> I had a problem with an aggregated link between two of them that was
> unreliable when using LACP, and I vaguely recall that I updated
> firmware to no avail. I've made it a static aggregate link and it has
> been flawless. It matched what the guy selling them to me said when I
> was considering them: "I've used them a lot, and they're generally OK,
> except for trunking which seems to do the odd funny thing."
>
> HTH,
> Greg.

sorta thread hijacking :)

Rather than a propriety solution, does anyone know of any reasonably
priced bare-metal/whitebox switching systems able to run generic
(gentoo) linuxaround 16 or 24 ports?

Building your own (I have two 4port sun happy meal cards which gives me
a 9 port switch with builtin ethernet on the mobo) results in bus
saturation at 100M let alone gig speeds.

I would love to get rid of my Cisco 1841/2950 for some real flexibility
and the ability to play with SDN.

BillK