[plug] the "iview problem"

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 02:20:36 UTC 2014

On 23/02/14 09:36, Steve Boak wrote:
> On 22/02/14 21:36, Gavin Chester wrote:
>> Anyone else struggling to feed their fix of iview to catch shows you've
>> missed going to air?
>>
>> First, I know the background to this by having searched out (a while
>> ago) the whole stupid flash issue and how we in linux-land are worst
>> affected. Consequently, I have the pepper flash plugin installed and up
>> to date and am forced to use it in the chrome browser.
>>
>> However, despite that I have two issues:
>> 1/ the default chrome settings file seems to keep getting over-written
>> and the necessary extra line of settings telling chrome to use pepper
>> flash is disappearing at random intervals. This requires repeated
>> editing of that default settings file; and
>> 2/ Despite ensuring chrome is using the latest pepper flash (checked
>> using "chrome:plugins") I have been unable to see any iview for a couple
>> of weeks now (btw, sbs ondemand is fine as long as pepper is up to date).
>>
>> The iview message boards have nothing new related to my issue on the
>> topic that I can see.
>>
>> Why oh why is iview being so belligerent on this issue? Surely if one
>> were to use an outdated flash then it is at your own risk so why have a
>> website bar you from its content?
>>
>> Is my recent frustration an isolated case?
>>
> Hi Gavin
>
> I don't have a solution to your problem, but I do have a fully working
> flash combination with Debian Wheezy (7.4), KDE 4.8.4, Iceweasel 24.3.0,
> and shockwave Flash 11.2 r202. All these are 'standard issue' with the
> Wheezy distribution. I have had issues in the past, but for the last few
> months it 'just works' with iView, YouTube and pretty much anything else
> I try to watch.
>
> I've never heard of pepper, but from a quick search it seems to be a
> non-free google flash replacement, so what's the advantage?
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't know what wizardry you're using to get iview to work, but since
it "just works" then maybe some higher force is acting on your behalf
because it simply shouldn't with your setup according to the iview
forums and others are full of people complaining about it!

Flash 11.2 in firefox/konqueror/opera/etc is fine for ALL other sites
except iview and sbs. For a while now, iview will not work on less than
flash 11.7, reportedly, which was a deliberate decision by iview to
limit it this way. Why? Can't find out why. But, to answer your
question: why am I using pepper flash and chrome? Because flash
development for linux stopped at 11.2 and will not continue. Google
developed/brought in pepper flash that works only with chrome and it is
the only flash for linux continuing under active development (btw: in
case it's lost in the noise, sbs ondemand is similarly affected, but I
can currently get that to work since it seems to be more forgiving?)

FYI: the problem presents itself as the programs taking forever to load
before reporting it's not available. That's solely due to your flash
version according to everyone.

--
Gavin Chester