[plug] the "iview problem" [solved - sort of]

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 03:46:00 UTC 2014

On 23/02/14 11:21, Ben Keith wrote:
> Hi Gavin,
>
> Echoing Steve's response, I have iView, SBS On Demand, Youtube and other
> sites playing video without issue with the following:
>
> Kubuntu 13.10
> Firefox 27.0
> Shockwave Flash plugin 11.2 r202

No, only iview and sbs - all other flash streams are unfazed by how old
your flash is so as long as you have flash 11.2 youtube and others are fine.

[snip]

A bit of digging led me to a 'work around' that I was suspicious of at
first, because it seemed a blatant app plug disguised as a reply to a
forum post. Anyway, the answer lies (for souls suffering like me) in
using the linux version of xbmc with an iview plugin:

http://www.andybotting.com/projects/using-abcs-iview-on-xbmc

I am watching iview using xbmc right now - content that has been
unwatchable for at least a week now.

I wonder if this "cure" will last though? the app author credits jeremy
visser's work for allowing him to write his code. Visser wrote the cli
tool "iview downloader" (or some such name) - the same piece of code
that abc issued a nasty "take down" order sometime ago. We'll see if the
new app survives by somehow avoiding the same copyright breach.

--
Gavin Chester