[plug] PLUG headers revealing email addresses

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Wed Feb 26 06:37:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Steve Boak <sboak at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just happened to be looking through the source of a plug list message and
> saw this in the headers (and yes, my address  is one of them)

> cxxx at westnet.com.au,
>  gxxx at westnet.com.au, gxxx at westnet.com.au, jxxx at westnet.com.au,
>  mxxx at westnet.com.au, mxxx at westnet.com.au, nxxx at westnet.com.au,
>  rxxx at westnet.com.au, sxxx at westnet.com.au, vxxx at westnet.com.au,
>  wxxx at westnet.com.au
>
> I've anonymised them of course, but interesting to note that it's only
> westnet addresses showing up here. Is this an artefact of the way the list
> mailer groups it's send list?
>
> Can these be hidden in some way, or is that just the way the list works?

Hi Steve,

I don't see that header in any of the PLUG messages in my archive.
Given that the addresses you've listed are all @westnet.com.au, is it
possible that the header is being added by your ISP?  The ordering of
the header relative to the "Received" headers might give a clue about
whether this is the case.

When sending bulk mail (such as mailing list traffic), it isn't
uncommon to group the delivery in this way to cut down on traffic.
There may be an option in mailman to deliver messages independently,
but it is really the ISP that is leaking the information to you.

James.