[plug] IPv6 revisited

Andrew Cooks acooks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 08:39:07 UTC 2014

Hi Plug

I recently implemented IPv4 firewalling on our devices at work and
Phillip Smith's talk on 'husk' for firewalling both IPv4 and IPv6 at
the LCA Sysadmin miniconf [1] reminded me again that I really need to
get a proper grip on IPv6.

So, I followed Adrian Woodley's advice and got an Internode account.
Internode says I got:
+ A dynamic /64 IPv6 prefix for your PPP session.
+ A static /56 IPv6 prefix for your LAN (if you are using a router
with Prefix Delegation).

What's the difference between these two prefixes?

Adrian's Plug talk on IPv6 could probably answer some of my questions,
but is still 'private' on youtube.

Cheers!

a.

1. http://sysadmin.miniconf.org/presentations14.html#PhillipSmith