[plug] Student access to school networks

hatari at iinet.net.au hatari at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 22 15:58:49 UTC 2014

Kev,

Fine.

See ya.

wayne

On 21 Mar 2014 at 21:23, Kevin Shackleton wrote:

Hi Wayne,

I well understand the generalised statements that your making. I'm not offended at all, and I
don't want to get into a slanging match, but really you have failed to demonstrate what's
different between a PC that a student is leasing through the school, which started out with a
standard image, and a privately owned PC. Either of them can soon be loaded up with
cracking tools, either can be used to try code injection in web pages or SQL etc.

I have been involved in school networks and security, but not in the last 5 years or so.

Yesterday I was speaking with a guy at Shenton College. He says they do everything
through their intranet - file upload & download as well as intensively using Moodle etc for
student organisation. They have achieved device independence. I suspect that there will be
security gaps found but I doubt that the hardware used in finding the gaps would be a
significant factor.

My original email was aimed at finding specific problems found at schools. I know there
were issues with Mac networking prior to OSX, but that's all gone. There are problems with
Surface devices and wireless, but pads are not encouraged at schools.

Thanks,

Kevin.