[plug] Recommendations for a laptop

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Wed May 21 04:51:59 UTC 2014

BTW, the horize/clevo brand laptops ship with Linux.

The closest I can see to your previous machine is their 11"
http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html

Configured with the extreme edition i7 and 16GB of ram options and
Ubuntu pre-installed, it could go from 0 to `make -j16` quite quickly.
The major limitation of this machine is it that Horize considers 1.8kg
to be "Ultra Portable".

I also usually find the discussion on www.ozbargain.com.au quite
useful for computers and electronics, though I don't see anything on
there directly relevant to you at the moment.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com> wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> After using my laptop as a fuse between a power meter I was debugging, and
> the mains I find myself in need of a replacement.
>
> My laptop was a Sony Vaio TT, and its predecessor a TX so I'm used to small
> (11.1"), light (<1200g) and 6-11 hours of battery.
>
> I've been looking at a 13" Mac Air, but I wonder if anyone else has
> recommendations for a small and light linux suitable machine with a 10-12
> hour battery life (or >6 hours with a replaceable battery).
>
> The Vaio was 1366x768 ~1.2ghz Core 2, 8gb ram and 160gb Intel SSD. Ran for 6
> hours on the standard battery and 11 on the extended.
>
> Recommendations of suitable machines that cost less than the Mac and have at
> least feature parity with the VAIO would be very warmly welcomed. I write
> code on it, so it needs to be an x86_64 and it really does need at least
> 160GB SSD.

John C. McCabe-Dansted