[plug] Recommendations for a laptop

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed May 21 09:07:32 UTC 2014

On 21/05/14 16:36, Michael Van Delft wrote:
> If Linux support / compatibility is important to you there are some
> places that will sell laptops with Linux installed. ThinkPenguin and
> System76 spring to mind. The Galago UltraPro from System76 looks very
> light and portable but I've never used one so I can't comment on it's
> feel.

Linux support is vital, but I've had Sony laptops and Apple desktops
since 2006, so I'm more than comfortable with hacking drivers,
disassembling and correcting ACPI and just plain swapping out hardware
(particularly wireless cards).

Oh the other hand, I've also bought stuff that had "linux support" out
of the box to find obsolete or badly maintained drivers, half baked ACPI
and APM implementations and binary only modules..

I've very kindly been lent an old slab which will do acceptable service
until I'm in the position of not having to compromise on hardware. I've
been sold for years on the Mac's, but those Lenovo machines have quite
caught my eye.

I very much appreciate everyone's input.

Next time I'll remember to use the isolation transformer.