[plug] Recommendations for a laptop

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed May 21 07:37:33 UTC 2014

I have a X230 and it's awesome including the screen quality (I have the IPS
panel) except it's crappy resolution. It's quite expandable cause I also
have 16GB of RAM in there + both a mini PCI SSD + standard laptop SATA HDD.

The X240 sacrifices some expandability but it's thinner, lighter, and has a
1920x1080 screen option! It also appears it still supports 2 HDDs, but less
overall RAM (max out at 8GB). Anyway, if the X230 died I'd be looking at
the X240 :) It looks like it has some seriously long lasting battery
options (up to 17hrs!).

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Will Dowling <will at autodeist.com> wrote:

> I know a few plug members have an X Series thinkpad and we have a few
>> at work. They are great machines, however the screen resolution sucks.
>> 1366x768 is an utterly useless resolution.
>>

> +1 for the X230 when kitted out with the extra life battery, extra ram and
> SSD - mean little workhorse and docks quite nicely.
>
> They've been superceded with the X240 now though, which has an upgrade
> option to solve the screen - but changes from the standard Thinkpad body to
> a newer one that I haven't played with enough to pass judgement on.
>
> If I was buying again I'd either go the X240 or a Macbook.
>

> Will Dowling
>
> T: +61 (08) 6364 4880
> F: +61 (08) 6364 4881
> E: will at autodeist.com