[plug] Bonded ethernet balance-rr and or active-backup

Paul Del p at delfante.it
Sun Nov 16 07:58:03 UTC 2014

Hey Hani

Thanks for your reply

What I'm firstly trying to achieve is greater network throughput in my LAN
for data transfer to from my NAS's
>From what I have read for modes balance-rr balance-tlb or balance-alb
doesn't require switch support?
But I am happy to do 802.3ad as my switch supports it

what I have is
in my debian 7.0 64bit pc I am running 1x intel pro 1000 mt pci-e but have
ordered a PT model
I have 2x netgear readynas pro's both with bonding enabled also
also running this all through a tp link sg3424 which supports LAG

my problem is I don't seem to be able to get the 2x intel pro 1000 ports to
be bonded properly
I was using ifenslave on debian 64bit
although messages, ifconfig bond0 /proc seems to show fine
I have turned on LAG support in the tp link switch for those ports but
doesn't seem to help
since then I have disabled the on board nic just to be sure
mostly been following this
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/debian-ubuntu-teaming-aggregating-multiple-network-connections.html

(bonding in Linux is new to me so I may of made a mistake)

Thanks Paul

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Hani Jabr <hani at nuix.net> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> What are you hoping to achieve with that setup - greater speed or greater
> resilience?  Also, what kind of kit are you plugged in to and is it
> configured correctly?
>
> Hani
>

> On 15 Nov 2014, at 18:13, Paul Del <p at delfante.it> wrote:
>
> Hey guys
>
> Any one had experience doing bonded ethernet on Debian
> I have read a stack of Debian/Ubuntu/Red Hat Howtos and manuals
>
> *Specically balance-rr and or active-backup mode
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/debian-ubuntu-teaming-aggregating-multiple-network-connections.html
>
> I am using two interfaces on an Intel dual gigabit nic pci-e card 82571EB
>
> A couple of things:
>
> my on board Ethernet(the one eth0 I'm not bonding) seems to get confused
> with the bonded ones on the Intel pci-e card eth1 and eth2
>
> I have tried both balance-rr and active-backup mode and when I unplug a
> network cable both interfaces on bond0 seem to go down of line(then I do
> /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> modprobe looks fine, kernel messages are shown in /var/log/messages and I
> can see the state changes in /proc/net/bonding/bond0
>
> Also I have set up /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf and
> /etc/network/interfaces with the same modes
>
> I might be missing something obvious or not correct
>
> Any help or comments would be helpful.
>
> Cheers Paul

Deltek Technology in Perth, WA
Ph:61 08 636-55-618 E:p at delfante.it W:deltek.net.au

Creating Efficient solutions to save time and money
Simplifying Info Technology Systems and saving money
Easier Technology using cutting edge Systems