[plug] gigabit switch recommendations

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Mon Nov 17 09:03:24 UTC 2014

On 17/11/14 16:47, Paul Del wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Any recommendations for a gigabit switch brand/type?
>
> My requirements are
> gigabit Ethernet
> 16x ports
> needs to be rack mount
> budget is $500 max
>
> main thing I require is link aggregation/port trunking
> for bonding to get greater speeds/throughput in Debian

You really, really need to quantify what "get greater speeds" means. If
you mean you want one connection to use more than one links bandwidth
then you are pretty much SOL with a switch. If you have 30 heavy duty
clients and you need more than one uplink to a NAS then you will
probably be ok.

If you want more than one links worth of bandwidth then you need to use
something like round-robin and that is pretty much not compatible with
switches. I do it here to get 3G between machines, but it's strictly
point to point. You won't get it to switch efficiently at all.