[plug] OpenSolaris, ZFS, RAID-Z Comments

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Tue Oct 21 07:19:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 13:21 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Anyway, in addition to that the RHEL senior engineer assigned to review BTRFS
> for their systems[1] had serious concerns about the design leading to
> unbounded fragmentation (which Chris Mason and others dispute), and unarguably
> found a nasty bug leading to a pathological fragmentation case (now fixed).

Who was the engineer, Zach Brown?
I hadn't heard this or seen it on the mailing list.

He's not the only one critical of btrfs in our group.

Lurking on the btrfs mailing list you'll still (it's been years now) see
regular BUG() crash reports and then there's the error handling that all
too often amounts to a call to BUG() which hasn't changed much in years
either.

Ian